Hi there Dusty Attic friends. Tina here with you today to share a personal project.
My project for this month came about solely from one little itty bitty piece of chipboard. It was the Quoted Sentiments that I found in my Dusty Attic goodies box from the boss. I am sure she has done this one for me. Absolutely heart wrenching quotes, perfect for seaside projects. And it was the quote “Live life by a compass, not a clock”, that really pulled on my heart strings. So this was my starting point, and everything come from that one sentiment. Inspiration sometimes comes from the smallest of things.
So I had the sentiment, and because this is my personal post I wanted to concentrate on everything Dusty Attic. So I pulled all the pieces and some more I thought I would like to use. They are listed at the bottom for you. The quote speaks of compasses and clocks so of course they were my next chipboard pieces. But firstly I started with a bare background of corrugated Dusty Attic card. These come in 12 x 12 sheets and never before I have I used one as my sole base so this was going to be a little challenging. I primed it with clear gesso and once dried I did some freehand dressing of a spackle using a palette knife. I applied it quite heavily and left it to dry overnight. I gave it another coat of clear gesso and then went to work colouring my piece with acrylics and embossing powders.
I left the base to dry and then went to work by priming my chipboards. Some with clear and some with white gesso depending on the outcome I was looking for. Gold embossing powder was my base for the scrolls. The Baroque flourishes were dressed with two differing embossing powders to give a thick textural look. You will see in the photo below the differing blue powders. Once these were all done I worked on the placement for each piece. I didn’t use any matting for my photo, I simply sanded the edges and then swiped some acrylic paint around also. The photo was mounted up on some old chipboard outers from my stash.
I absolutely love the etchings in the Baroque flourishes. So I did my best not to cover these and left the pieces shine as much as I could. Eventually I used the flourishes to frame my photo and the sides and then the base.
I found a half piece of the largest Skeleton Clockfaces. I then cut through the centre of it cutting out partially the numbers. Again it was dressed similarly to the other pieces like the scrolls. I made another cluster above the clockface piece at the top right of my project. I added the two compasses that were both dressed in medias differently. I popped a couple of the smaller flourishes from the Baroque Flourish #4 set and a couple of flowers to finish off the cluster.
I also added in some broken pendant pieces from the Elegant Pearls set that were floating in the draw. I added to the top of these some cute little hearts from the heart attack panel. Lastly I added in my Sentiment amongst the scrolls at the base of the project. I finished off by dry brushing some elements and adding in flower pearl, sequins and art stones.
Well that is all from me today. As I mentioned I have added in the products used for this project below. Just click on the links below the product photos to take you to the shop.
Until next time take care and stay safe.
Dusty Attic Products Used