Today I am sharing my altered Dusty Attic Journal with you as well as a tutorial on how I achieved the Moroccan look on the cover.
I loved the ‘Moroccan’ theme for the atc challenge and swap this month so I decided to continue the theme with my journal! The colours of Morocco are so rich and vibrant so it allowed me to go a little crazy with colour. 🙂
– Apply PVA glue to the front cover and add torn pieces of book paper all over. You can let the paper extend over the sides and then fold under and tape down later when the glue is dry. This will give you a nice look for the inside cover.
– Now that the glue is dry, use a dry sponge to swipe some gesso lightly over the whole surface. Start with a very small amount of gesso on the sponge. You don’t want it so thick that you can’t see the text paper through it. It is best to keep it fairly dry to prevent any warping of the cover too.
– Place a template over the dry surface and swipe some Gel Medium over it with a palette knife or used credit card. Set aside to dry.
– Now comes the fun part: adding colour!! I have used a combination of Pickled Raspberry, Peacock Feathers and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks and rubbed into the cover with a sponge.
– Next I applied Dylusions Ink Sprays in Bubblegum Pink, Crushed Grape and Vibrant Turquoise. These colours are BRIGHT!!! They were even just a little too bright so I added some water to a Dusty Attic Mini Spritz Bottle and sprayed over the cover. I lifted the journal up at the top and allowed the water to run down. Once dry I sponged a little gesso over the top.
-Once I had the background completed, I started to layer on some embellishments. First I added some pieces of the Marrakesh Trellis small that I had painted with gesso. Once they were glued in place I then sponged some more gesso over the top.
– Then all remaining embellishments were added to give the journal a Moroccan feel.
I used the same Dylusions Ink Sprays to colour my Dusty in Bloom flowers and then applied gesso to the edges once they were dry. The face embellishment was made using a Moulds by Mel face mould. I used Martha Stewart air drying clay. Once it was dry I applied Dusty in Colour Bisque and Alabaster. To give it a more aged look I also applied Dusty Attic Crackle Varnish and then sprayed Dylusions Vibrant Turquoise over the top wiping away the excess so the colour remained mostly in the cracks.
My chipboard and Dusty In Bloom leaves were all painted with gesso and then Peacock Feathers Distress Ink was added to the edges.
DUSTY IN BLOOM:
DUSTY IN COLOUR:
Thankyou so much for checking out my tutorial and project today!! I hope it has inspired to get altering your own Dusty Journal!!